How not to look like a tourist
in San Francisco
1. It’s not LA – girls are not glammed up in SF. Less is more here, but please remember that it doesn’t mean “least” is “most”. You’re supposed to be casual, not a whore.
2. Ladies often go with the jeans and boots look around the city or, if working, the tights and boots look is common. The combination of steep hills and cooler weather likely keeps the amount of designer high heels suppressed.
3. For casual trips out in the city, ladies are often out in yoga pants and t-shirts.
4. Layers and Sweaters are popular because the temperature varies a lot during the day. Cool mornings, with warm afternoons, and windy and chilly evenings make layers convenient. The sweaters are fashionable though, not something your grandma knitted for you in the 80’s.
5. Girls going out for the nightlife in the city are usually in jeans or skirts and tank tops or sweaters. It’s pretty casual at most places.
6. In the nicest of restaurants, girls wearing anything remotely trendy is acceptable. It’s a very diverse city so it’s not uncommon to see a tattooed hipster eating $100 sushi at a trendy restaurant in the Hispanic district.